Monday, January 30, 2006

Laughing at your leaders

When I think about which virtues I consider the best not just for me but for society at large, "skepticism" usually tops the list. A healthy sense of doubt and questioning is generally an unbeatable prescription. To me, skepticism is a largely secular humanist virtue (and therefore good to me!) because it takes a source of authority and reduces it to its human components; human beings who are essentially similar to you and me, and not representatives of the voice of "God," or of "Reason," or of "Truth" or what have you.

Therefore I'm pleased when I read articles like this one and this one, about citizens who are willing to be skeptical, critical, even joking towards their leaders. Obviously, there are plenty of Palestinians and Iranians who do not regard their thuggish leaders as messengers of God. But if many people find Hamas and Ahmadinejad ridiculous, where are they on voting day? Of course, the obvious question to ask is whether Americans' own willingness to ridicule Bush has gotten us anywhere. Is our own criticism and joking constructive, or is it a largely useless right that will reveal itself powerless when push comes to shove? Also, one cannot bring up Middle Eastern skepticism and joking without acknowledging its limits.

3 Comments:

Blogger to scranton said...

Right off the bat, I need to ask- has anyone actually seen the Danish cartoons? Can anyone provide a link? I don't know what to think of this whole thing. I'm pretty sure Austin will agree with me that people burn images of Bush everyday and curse America and call for our death but we don't retaliate, not to mention the treatment Jesus gets at the hands of political commentators, radicals, artists, etc. Can you imagine a Mohammed equivalent of the "Piss Christ"?

5:10 PM  
Blogger Austin 5-000 said...

To the mosque!

8:24 PM  
Blogger to scranton said...

I just had a terribly offensive and great idea when your post reminded me of "to the batmobile!" What if we had a superhero team called Jihad Man and Martyr, the Boy Wonder? Jihad Man can throw "fatwarangs", while Martyr doesn't make it past issue #1 because he blows himself up. Just a flight of fancy.

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home