Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Intelligent Design and John Stuart Mill

I'm trying to read Stanley Fish's intelligent design article in this month's Harper's. But I just don't really like him enough to keep going. He's condescending, like a professor who tries not to let you know what he actually thinks so that he can maintain his socratic style. Thanks, buddy, but when you're writing an article you need to tell us your fucking argument so I can know why I'm reading it. Anyway, he brings up the fact that Gerald Graff created the whole "teach the controversy" argument when he was arguing for multiculturalism. This is one of the more ironic appropriations that republican types have come up with. But maybe teaching the debate is OK.
I keep thinking about John Stuart Mill's point in On Liberty. He argued that we need to allow dumb ideas to be repeated because we need to maintain the kernel of wisdom that exists in our own conventional wisdom. The reason this whole debate came up isn't that evolution really has problems, but that we haven't been fighting hard enough for it. So bring it on: I don't give a shit what you do in Kansas. It's wrong to play games with kids' minds, but they're your kids so I can't really do anything about it anyway. Moreover, they will make my kids smarter when they have to defend evolution during their summers at camp or whatever. Our ideas will bring you to your knees, small-minded fools! Prepare!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home