Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Say, Where Are The Japanese Young Men At?

This New York Times Magazine article on a new Japanese phenomenon that witnesses thousands of young men locking themselves into their rooms for months left me with many questions. One in particular was a statement the writer makes that "in Japan, where uniformity is still prized and reputations and outward appearances are paramount, rebellion comes in muted forms" such as this self-imposed isolation. Many of the other posited reasons for the phenomenon seem plausible (macroeconomic stagnation, increased pressure on youth to succeed, etc.), but this one left me puzzled. Is it true? My impression was that it was cool to rebel in modern Japanese society. I know next to nothing about Japanese culture, but I know some of you out there -- or your parents, at least -- do. It's an interesting article about an interesting moment at the very least.

3 Comments:

Blogger shrf said...

Are you saying my parents are Japanese or something?

1:09 AM  
Blogger Austin 5-000 said...

It's "cool" to rebel in American culture. This doesn't make it any easier for high-school rebels. You need a basic kernel of self-confidence. My guess is that Japanese culture does not really provide kids with self-confidence unless they are spending 18+ hours a day studying.

11:07 AM  
Blogger danny marcus said...

Being too tired to either call my parents or read the article, I will suggest (without giving any evidence or making an argument at all) that it is probably not coincidental that this phenomenon occurs primarily or only in males in a culture in which masculinity has been very, very problematic for a long time now. It probably didn't help that we nuked their phallic empire into limpness.

1:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home