Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Job benefits include: decreased wages, insecurity, dumpster diving

The other day I spoke to my manager at work about employee lunch breaks. Some recent complications in scheduling have caused people to cut short their breaks rather drastically so that everyone can get a chance at lunch. I was saying there were some easy steps we could take to ensure that everyone got their full allotted break. At one point I got this old chestnut: "Well, for some people it's a chance to work longer hours." Ah, yes--it's not a decrease in your benefits, it's an opportunity! This miffed me a little but I think it was meant in seriousness, not patronizing. How little I have to complain about: This is patronizing.

4 Comments:

Blogger shrf said...

The horror. The horror.

3:12 AM  
Blogger Robot said...

I heard a thing on NPR about this this morning. The worst is how one of those laid off said something to the effect of, "They told me they cared. They clearly don't." I just hope the message being sent is not, "Wow. Northwest is so insensitive." There's notthing unique about Northwest. There's not a corporation in the world that feels any differently about their workers, I'm sure.

Also, what's with Northwest being in the news twice in one day (one of their Jets was turned around after suspicious people doing supsicious things mid-air)? Coincidence? Or are they trying to turn everyone's attention away from dumpster-diving.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Josh the Hippie Killer said...

I think their advice was rather sound. Why, just yesterday I found a half-eating Big Mac in the garbage at my local McDonalds. And might I add, it was still warm...

9:52 PM  
Blogger to scranton said...

S'funny, I think, how like Robot says people read stories like these and think "Too bad for those few bad apples" and then read about Bill Gates and Warren Buffett and assume the world is cared for by benevolent billionaires.

On the other hand, I'm also very interested in "conventional wisdom" about programs like a living wage, the truth about which is almost impossible to discover. Opponents of living wages say that the market will "naturally" react to increased wages by increased unemployment. Yet I keep hearing that separate studies have shown that the unemployment levels have *gone down* in cities that have implemented LW. These new studies are calling the old assumptions outdated and erroneous. Does anyone know a good place to go for the facts of the matter? The Mises Institute need not apply. Thanks.

11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home