Saturday, February 17, 2007

Very late thoughts on Caché

I remember when several of the Huffy Crew blogateers saw Caché at the Tivoli. I was not cool enough to see it then, but I just watched it tonight on a rental, and I must say, it's great. A few questions, though: Everyone talked about how the final shot reveals so much... Did I miss something? (Spoilers here, for those who care about such things.) Majid's son meets Pierrot outside the school, they exchange what looks like friendly talk, and part ways. Are we supposed to assume that they know each other? That they were working together all along with the tapes? Even though there was no clear resolution I loved the effect. Being the typical moviegoer I expected someone to come out of the darkness when Georges goes to sleep in his final scene and kill him or something. Instead we get a flashback (dream?) followed by the school shot. The actor playing Georges was fucking fantastic. I'll never forget that nose. At first you have mild sympathy for him before realizing he's an asshole and a liar. All his scenes are completely bizarre. His interactions with his wife, his son, Majid, Majid's son at the end...totally surreal. There's not a realistic moment in the whole movie, but I think that's supposed to be the point. Here are my main questions: Does anyone remember the Iraq footage, where they quote the Italian woman? I thought there must be some significance there... Also, when Anne and Pierrot have their talk after Pierrot comes home from spending the night out: this made absolutely no sense to me, I realize that Pierrot was insinuating something about his mother and her boss, Pierre, but her reaction was just weird. (The Pierre/Pierrot pairing makes me think we're supposed to understand some sort of subconscious message/familio-romantic anxiety.) Overall, I loved the long takes and the odd camera focus. It brought attention to all the various passers-by, the people in cars, on bikes, at the nearest table, etc. One of the more atypical movies I've seen in a long time.

3 Comments:

Blogger dchan said...

ah! i was just thinking about this movie the other day, but i couldn't remember the name...i loved it, personally. i agree that the long camera angles really brought out the anxiety and uncomfortable simultaneous existences in the film. i remember the end of the film being...not so much confusing, but ambiguous. but in such a way that i thought about the film for a long time afterward. i think my eventual conclusion was that the kids somehow knew eachother and maybe majid's son had introduced himself to pierrot at some point but not fully disclosed who he was (i.e. what he knew of his father's history with pierrot's father). it didn't really cross my mind that the kids were co-conspirators in the whole ordeal, but it seems to make sense that if they were, they perhaps didn't intend for it to end the way it did...hmmm...i think i'll have to re-watch the film when i have time.

* on another note, nice film blogging! i'd like to recommend a movie i saw recently to my fellow huffy crew-ers : "bad lieutenant" with harvey kaitel. it's a pretty old movie, but i just saw it the other day and it was awesome.

1:43 AM  
Blogger shrf said...

I also must say I loved the film, for all the reasons stated above. I was thinking though, and I think I mentioned this to Robot at one point, that regarding the anonymity of the video tapes, I think that we, the viewer (The French Viewer?) is the voyeur and the one producing the videos. As the drama unfolds, it seems more and more clear to me that we're watching/producing the trauma of the French-Algerian relationship, both on the micro scale and in it's larger societal sense. This seems especially pointed when Georges gets the video that leads him to Majid's apartment, in order to expose the hidden disaster of the film. We want/need to see the play of violence and drama in the film. I had more to say about this at one point, but I forget, so I'm just going to throw this point out.

4:15 AM  
Blogger Sebonde said...

Scranton, I was hoping you'd comment on David Brooks's recent column on Rousseau and Hobbes. I have written about it myself on my MySpace weblog at http://blog.myspace.com/analogiaentis. I am sure you would do a more thorough and eloquent job, I hope I am not being too much like Salieri here.

5:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home