Sunday, February 26, 2006

3 Overrated Movies

Bloggers, I see that you have nothing worthwhile to do right now (neither do I) so you might as well read this post, even though this posting’s theme strays from your typical washav.blogspot post.
These are three very overrated movies: Anchorman, Napoleon Dynamite, and Garden State. The only way that anyone could have possibly liked one or any these shit-shows is because they think that they should have liked them. (There is no other way, if you disagree you are wrong.) Please let me tell you why each one is so shitty.

Anchorman- It really wasn’t funny. I did chuckle once or twice, but the “I love lamp thing,” Ron Burgundy’s flute solo, and the acapella version of Afternoon Delight (although sung well) were pretty fucking lame, among other things (aka the whole rest of the movie). Oh, and I get the point that the Wilson brothers, Will Ferrell, Ben Stiller, and Vince Vaugn are all great friends, even off-screen. “Wow, that’s so cool of them!”- moron

Napoleon Dynamite- This is one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen. Really, it was so shitty. It wasn’t funny, it wasn’t entertaining, it was painful to sit through, and it tried way too hard to be hip. Just because something was made by MTV Films and your parents don’t ‘get it’ doesn’t mean you have to like it. And the worst part about this film is that I am constantly reminded of how much I hated it because every frat boy I speak with (you guys know what frat guys are, right?) talks in their stellar impersonation of Napoleon.
"Liger" - asshole

Garden State- This movie didn’t speak to you. Zach Braff isn’t some genius who understands our generation unlike any other filmmaker just because he’s famous and isn’t so good-looking that he otherwise would be unapproachable.
“Wow, Zach Braff’s character doesn’t have a perfect relationship with his parents, just like me! Its so refreshing to see a movie that can show things like they really are”- idiot
Oh, and I’m sure I’m gonna disagree with most of you guys when I say that the soundtrack is also QUITE overrated (I mean, there wasn’t even an Eminem song on it!).

I’m very curious to see how others think about these movies. Feel free to leave you opinions in the comments sections.

6 Comments:

Blogger to scranton said...

Hippie Killer, you've raised some excellent points. A quick glance at Facebook's "Pulse," however, shows that Anchorman and Napoleon Dynamite have worn out their welcome at our school at least. I will nonetheless lay down the law myself:

Anchorman: I actually managed not to see this (!)

Nap Dyn: This is a demonstrably horrible movie. I sat in silence at the movie theater and only hated it more because the 16 year olds in front of me giggled at EVERY DAMN WORD. Completely predictable, lame humor. Happily, the text on those "Vote For Pedro" t-shirts lies directly over the heart so I know exactly where to aim my fist when I wrench it, still beating, from the chest of tools everywhere who own said t-shirt. (Oh, and I think I've heard of these "frat guys" you speak of--they organize sock hops, right?)

Garden State: Can't share in your vitriol here. Thought it was perfectly acceptable "young person's quest for self-knowledge" movie, but I certainly don't want it to speak for our "medicated" generation. Sndtrck is indeed overrated. Oh, and just to justify your anger, apparently Zach Braff is a huge asshole in real life.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Robot said...

It's not so much that these movies suck as that they fail to live up to their expectations set by some. I find the Will Ferrell/Vince Vaughan etc. movies funny, but they too often dissappoint--with the exception of Wedding Crashers. As for Garden State, while I agree it may have little artistic merit, I do believe it will have historical value. Whether it does it well or not, it manages to capture a lot (without realizing its own superificiality) of the feeling and textures of the indie-rockin, pill-poppin, white middle-class of the early 21st century.

3:19 PM  
Blogger to scranton said...

Robot and I are totally SYNCHED UP!

3:20 PM  
Blogger Robot said...

There has been an immense amount of strangeness on this comments thread.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Josh the Hippie Killer said...

we also must remember than anyone named pedro who is running for office cant use the 'vote for pedro' slogan ever again, for fear of not being taken seriously. thats racism in my book.

7:57 PM  
Blogger d'Mardree said...

Josh-
No one hates Garden State more than I do. I'd rather be impaled by giant cocks simultaneously in every one of my orifices than have to watch it again, or more importantly, have to listen to sorority hoes talk about how brilliant it is and how "OMG OMG I am like obsessed with Zach Braffff!!!!!!!!!"

5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home