Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The weather is here. Wish you were beautiful.


Dear Huffy Crewers,

Consider this a sort of shoddy virtual postcard from sunny Palo Alto, CA. I'm much pleased to announce that the move-in went well, the accomodations are excellent, and Hoover Tower is suitably phallus-like (see above--I'm sure VD Hanson is proud). The palm trees are a trip and I keep thinking every guy over sixty with white hair and a paunch is Richard Rorty. I arrived at the student ID center today with wind-blown hair (bicycle in full effect, yo) and ended up looking rather Wittgensteinian. For those who were fans of my '95 Toyota Camry, crappy antenna and all, it will sadden you to know that the ol' gal broke down shortly after reaching the Pacific ocean--2000 miles from home. I guess it was always her dream to see the sea. She's now in San Luis Obispo at the Toyota dealership, and we're all keeping our fingers crossed as to the outcome.

For dorks who are interested, my courses (which start Monday!) are looking like Latin Survey, Latin Prose Comp, the "Semantics of Grammar" (mysterious...), Homeric Religion, and possibly a course in Political Science simply called "Justice." (Can you say Rawls vs. Nozick vs. Milton Friedman? Now can you say AWESOME!!!? God, this shit's so impractical in the real world; I love it.)

I've been out of the loop for a few days, but I'm sure I'll have plenty to say about Popegate and the Thai Coup later. (Did you know, for starters, that the Prime Minister of Thailand's party is roughly translated "Thais love Thais"? How sweet is that?) Much love, sisters and brothers.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sebonde said...

Richard Rorty is the academic anti-Christ.

10:40 PM  
Blogger danny marcus said...

Richard Rorty is who we should all dress up as for Halloween.

10:49 AM  
Blogger shrf said...

Richard Rorty is the name of a spicy and flavorful curry popular in Thailand

2:34 PM  
Blogger Austin 5-000 said...

I would post more often but I'm too busy thrashing my Rorty

5:40 PM  
Blogger Robot said...

When I brought up the subject of philosophy to two philosophy teachers at my high school, their first reaction was, "Do you like Rorty! Many of us in Spain love Rorty!" So, if you´re out there Richard, you´ve got mad international fans.

5:21 AM  
Blogger shrf said...

Is Rorty old enough where instead of smelling like stale cigarettes and moth-eaten professorly tweed he smells like medicine?

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home