Monday, February 19, 2007

Funny stuff

Two amusing things from very different arenas:

The band Deerhunter, who are quite good, have a great Myspace page where they've included a section called "Actual Testimony" (from their live shows). Read all of them, but I was especially tickled by this bit: "The lead singer came out with a some lacy women's sleep dress and a shirt that said 'I am not Anorexic'. And this is him. He kept on false fellating the other band members. And he got a boner twice. The girls behind me said we were 'witnessing the destruction of a human being.'" At which point the lead singer feels the desperate need to interject and says "(i got a boner? what the fuck is this kid talking about??? mom, if you are reading this: i totally did not get a boner.)" Oh me, I love that.

Also, although this nickname has been around for about 1 year, I had no idea of its existence: apparently The National Review's Johah Goldberg is not-so-affectionately referred to on the blogosphere as "Doughy Pantload." And now people have started referring to him as (snicker) Doughbob Loadpants. I tend not to read the smaller liberal blogs, mostly because they're too wrapped up in petty issues (usually involving Ann Althouse's stupidity in some way). I do read atrios and digby occasionally. Maybe this is an incentive, because I laugh at "Doughy Pantload" every time I read it or even think about. And I just lost the game. Goddamnit.

12 Comments:

Blogger to scranton said...

Hmm, I now realize that only a crazy person could call atrios a "smaller liberal blog." What I mean is that he is like digby in that the format of the blog is basically "Angry Liberals Pointing out Stuff." Atrios is just the most popular example of this type of blog. Usually, though, I read what you might called more "detailed" analysis, whether from Kevin Drum and his stats, Yglesias, Greenwald, et al. It seems to me there's a fairly big difference, no? I also read a lot of academics like Lawyers Guns and Money, Crooked Timber, and Open University. Never read Huffington Post.

12:45 AM  
Blogger dchan said...

clarification - does the grace period for the game start when you first hear about someone losing it (for me, 9 a.m.-ish paris time) or when someone first loses?
also, i have heard good things about the band 'deerhunter' and you have inspired me to limewire some of their stuff today (i know, i know, but it's impossible/expensive to find/buy american cds in europe). contingently (sort of) i have heard BAD things about 'deerhunter' the movie - something about it having a one hour long wedding scene. have any of you seen this film, and if so, do you recommend it?

1:33 AM  
Blogger Austin 5-000 said...

Huffington Post sux, and I agree with Atrios, and not just because Atrios links to my roommate's posts. Deerhunter the movie is really fucking long, but I think everyone needs to watch it once. It works in the same vein as Apocalypse Now, i.e. shows how war's insanity is contagious and spreads to all touched by it. Christopher Walken goes nuts in the movie, but I think this may have also marked the point where Walken went crazy for the rest of his sick life.

7:47 AM  
Blogger Austin 5-000 said...

More about Deerhunter: just thinking about this movie reminds me of how much Americans interacted with the Vietnamese during that war. Not only that, but they at least had a corrupt government on their side and an enemy that attempted to hold territory. And we still lost. What the hell are we doing?

7:51 AM  
Blogger Sebonde said...

Scantron, I was hoping you would do a post about Brooks's most recent column in The New York Times.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Robot said...

Scantron, I was hoping you would do a post about Brooks's most recent column in The New York Times.

5:03 PM  
Blogger to scranton said...

Um, I don't take requests...? David Brooks is a silly asshat, though, so maybe I'll check it out for semi-masochistic reasons.

5:29 PM  
Blogger y19p84 said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Sebonde said...

Scantron, that did not stop you from commenting on John Yoo's latest apology for American fascism.

6:08 PM  
Blogger y19p84 said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:21 PM  
Blogger to scranton said...

Curry, are the people at your blog going to read that or something? Where da comment at?

6:38 PM  
Blogger to scranton said...

To answer Curry's disappeared question (Pinochet finally found him, I guess), Atrios is popular for several reasons. 1) Seniority. He just old as hell, for one. I remember Austin-5000, our own Field Commander Cohen, talking about blogs way before I was to waste much of my life reading and writing them, and Atrios was at the top of his list. Incidentally, Austin, have any of the once popular blogs now faded? 2) Atrios is funny and to the point. 3) Atrios has lots of recognizable catchphrases--The Last Honest Man, Very Serious People, WHEEEEEE, Holden Gets a Pony, etc. Oh, and he "invented" the Friedman.

Thinking about it a bit more, Atrios is actually much different from Digby and many other liberal blogs. At this point he's pretty much just a standard-bearer and blogosphere barometer with no real analysis. Digby usually puts in much more time and effort. Atrios is basically just part of the in crowd and echo chamber-ish. I'll still read him, though, because he makes me laugh and he's so unapologetic. As for what Curry said about bloggers being just as inside the beltway, it depends. For my money, the best place to go for an outsider's perspective was Billmon, but he's shut down. There are tons of good bloggers who aren't in Washington, besides.

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home