Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Iron (law of wages) Will

Any of us could have written George Will's column yesterday about Obama's "bitter" comment, perhaps Robot most easily: take some American history, sprinkle it atop conservative boilerplate about the "liberalism of condescension," and there you go.

Now let's take a peek at his Sunday column, "Horrors of a 'Crisis,'" wherein this salt-of-the-earth man of autonomy gives the entitlement-crazed masses a good dressing down:
The idea that protracted golden years of idleness are a universal right is a delusion of recent vintage. Deranged by the entitlement mentality fostered by a metastasizing welfare state, Americans now have such low pain thresholds that suffering is defined as a slight delay in beginning a subsidized retirement often lasting one-third of the retiree's adult lifetime.
It strikes me as funny that a man of supreme comfort like Will can talk down to "Americans" all day long, and then promptly write a column attacking Obama's "elitism" within a span of two days. His use of "delusion," "deranged," and "entitlement mentality" also pose problems for his jabs at liberals' (purported) belief in the "false consciousness" of the masses. Consider this passage from the anti-Obama column:
Obama's dismissal is: Americans, especially working-class conservatives, are unable, because of their false consciousness, to deconstruct their social context and embrace the liberal program.
Now look how easily it becomes...
Americans...are unable, because of [the delusion of entitlement mentality], to deconstruct their social context and [shut up and work].
People seem to go easy on Will, perhaps because unlike some conservatives in the media he can walk and chew gum at the same time. But the man's a douche, I say!

3 Comments:

Blogger y19p84 said...

flashback

http://washav.blogspot.com/2007/03/ideal-adversary.html

11:08 PM  
Blogger y19p84 said...

Yes, I know these aren't contradictory. But just pointing out. Don't make fun of me for the "dangerous conservative bullshit" remark either.

11:08 PM  
Blogger to scranton said...

The Curry-Scantron feud heats up! I have been made to hoist myself with my own petard!

I suppose a year gone by has made me that much more crotchety. In another year's time I'll have started my own left-anarchist bookstore.

You're wrong, though -- they are contradictory. I've changed my mind since then. But this means I also strongly dislike, e.g., David Ignatius now.

11:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home