Tuesday, October 14, 2008

On Being Modern

My breakfast this morning struck a fantastic chord in me. I had two slices of (excellent) toast and a cup of coffee. I felt thoroughly modern, like 1950's engineer modern. In the pursuit of being a better student of planning, I will attempt to eat this breakfast more often--despite my love of the breakfast taco.

However, I was also reminded of Fillipo Marinetti's excellent manifesto "Against Pasta". The futurists captured some of the most exciting and best sides of the undead horrors we call modernity and modernism, though in their case it lead them on the road of fascism. I hope my toast emboldens me to seek the heights of iconoclastic egalitarianism, and not the establishment of some master toast-race.

Hi.

3 Comments:

Blogger to scranton said...

I'd say you have the best chance out of this group at making it as a modern, Sheriff. Robot also approaches that ideal but I'd say he's more progressive era, pre-Great War type, so he has yet to have his illusions shattered. Your breakfast is a great start. Just continue with the toast (I feel like two pieces of bread represented something like 1/3 of the daily caloric consumption of a person in the 40s and 50s), smoke a shit ton of cigarettes, and try to own at least one suit and wear a fedora.

12:06 AM  
Blogger Alex Thompson said...

1/2 LULZ
1/2 WAHT THOS WORDS MEAN?

5:15 PM  
Blogger shrf said...

I has a jargon?

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home