Friday, December 09, 2005

Harold Pinter


Death in this context is irrelevant. Both Bush and Blair place death well away on the bacKburner. At least 100,000 Iraqis were killed by American bombs and missiles before the Iraq insurgency began. These people are of no moment. Their deaths don't exist. They are blank. They are not even recorded as being dead. 'We don't do body counts,' said the American general Tommy Franks.

Ok. I would like to look at this statement a little bit closer. 100000 people allegedly dead before the INSURGENCY. I've followed this war and this number just threw me off balance, because it came from nowhere. The thing that pisses me off is that, being a dramatist, Pinter gets tons of mileage off one false statistic like this. Let us just imagine, for one second, that Iraq Body Count is horribly off base, and the number of people they believe have been killed now, after everything, is actually the number that died before the insurgency. That would mean that 30,877 people had died. I'm sorry, but this is outrageous. You cannot fucking accuse a country of the deaths of 100,000 fucking people without good evidence. I don't care if you're a playwright. This is garbage

5 Comments:

Blogger shrf said...

cite the text!

10:39 PM  
Blogger to scranton said...

I think I am the most powerful man in this party. I wear glasses, but they are to enhance resolution in a different sense - the sense of being able to SEE through things, through mechanisms and systems of behavior and to arrive at the root of what is real.
Flora is here talking to me about how I have been, and she is asking me about "any new social movements" I may be orchestrating, comparing me to cinema, comparing me to "something really random like at 12:15 clap", are we underground coordinated movements to shake things up.

1:57 AM  
Blogger to scranton said...

Flora sat next to Ben jabbering, just jabbering, about social movements, about life, about she was trying to make some sort of a connection, an emotional one, in order to fulfill her sense of self, to feel more secure - she needed to build herself up, she needed a rock, she needed a friend.

But the very actions that I describe, are the reasons for her failure, and the reasons for her insecurity.

What do you do with this circular logic? What do you do with this paradox, and this pandora's box?

"Who Am I?" - Flora

2:02 AM  
Blogger to scranton said...

I have been looking at Robbie for a long time - looking at him as a sexual object. I have been wondering how to manipulate my enviornment to obtain that ass, to obtain that smile and make it apart of myself. How can I be inside Robert Gross!?

2:03 AM  
Blogger to scranton said...

I was told several things once: "Hell hath no fury like a jewish women needing bagels." "Don't judge a jewish woman by her nose." "The road to Yahweh is paved with matzah." "It's better to have a good job than to be fired than to ever have gotten a

2:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home