Friday, October 06, 2006

For Kushakov

I came across this poem and immediately thought of your question. This is of course not a source for the origin of the term, but rather an extreme example, perhaps even a perversion. The capitalization is in the original.

From Stephen Crane, "The Black Riders"

III

IN THE DESERT
I SAW A CREATURE, NAKED, BESTIAL,
WHO, SQUATTING UPON THE GROUND,
HELD HIS HEART IN HIS HANDS,
AND ATE OF IT.
I SAID, "IS IT GOOD, FRIEND?"
"IT IS BITTER--BITTER," HE ANSWERED;
"BUT I LIKE IT
"BECAUSE IT IS BITTER,
AND BECAUSE IT IS MY HEART."

3 Comments:

Blogger danny marcus said...

Because this post is mine--for me--I like it.

Furthermore, a message to Kushakov devotees: I am now gainfully employed! At long last, huzzah, Assistant at Greene Naftali Gallery. Check us out on the world-wide webratory: greenenaftaligallery.com.

11:05 PM  
Blogger to scranton said...

Congratulations! I checked out the website; it looks very nice. That Michaela Miese exhibit looks especially neato-keen. Your encounter with Matthew Barney is right around the corner at this point, I'm sure of it.

1:25 AM  
Blogger danny marcus said...

You can tell Michaela's a good artist b/c she only smokes Gauloises.

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home